Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Building boost with stlport?
From: Brian Vandenberg (phantall+boost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-10-10 15:42:55

> STLport is not used much nowadays. Used to use it with msvc-6 and 7.1, but
> those are loooong gone here.

 Keep in mind that msvc is not the only place someone might consider
using a more portable STL implementation.  Where I work we're using
Sun Studio; at least in old implementations their support for STL was
anything but standards compliant -- in particular, people were doing
god-awful things that never should have passed peer review; stuff that
stlport or gcc puke on.

 Using stlport in older versions of Sun Studio is all but necessary
if you want to use boost.  More recent releases of Sun Studio are less
troublesome, but in our case we're porting between Solaris and Linux;
the implementations of STL between SS for Solaris & SS for Linux
appeared to have different behaviors for some things, and if we port
to gcc there'll no doubt be issues with poorly written code that
worked in SS that doesn't work under gcc.

 In short, I wouldn't discount stlport as an ancient, no-longer-used
piece of software; for those of us trying to port/improve older and
more fragile code, stlport is a boon.

-Brian