Subject: [Boost-users] Locale on Mac OS X
From: Alberto Simões (hashashin_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-10-12 11:34:36

Hello, friends

I am kind of desesperate.

I am trying to use a Natural Language Processing application written
in C++ that uses libboost on my Mac OS X.

The problem is that locales seem to be broken for C++ in darwin. I
know that is is (as far as I can tell) libboost fault. If you run the
c++ program in attach under Leopard, you get the behavior I paste
below.

My question is: anybody found a way to make locale working on darwin?
Couldn't libboost try to implement an indirection level for mac os X
using the C locale API? (not sure if you are interested, just an
idea).

Please let me know if there is a solution to this problem.

Kindest regards,
Alberto

[ambs_at_rachmaninoff tmp]$ ./a.out
Trying c locales...
Succeeded in calling setlocale(LC_ALL, "C")
Succeeded in calling setlocale(LC_ALL, "POSIX")
Succeeded in calling setlocale(LC_ALL, "en_US")
Succeeded in calling setlocale(LC_ALL, "en_US.UTF-8")
Succeeded in calling setlocale(LC_ALL, "pl_PL")
Succeeded in calling setlocale(LC_ALL, "pl_PL.ISO8859-2")

Trying C++ locales...
Succeeded ctor for std::locale with "C"
Succeeded ctor for std::locale with "POSIX"
Failed ctor for std::locale with "en_US":
locale::facet::_S_create_c_locale name not valid
Failed ctor for std::locale with "en_US.UTF-8":
locale::facet::_S_create_c_locale name not valid
Failed ctor for std::locale with "pl_PL":
locale::facet::_S_create_c_locale name not valid
Failed ctor for std::locale with "pl_PL.ISO8859-2":
locale::facet::_S_create_c_locale name not valid

--
Alberto Simões