Subject: [Boost-users] MSM <-> UML Conversion
From: asif saeed (asif.lse2_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-10-19 07:50:22

Hi,

I haven't yet looked at MSM. However, I do wonder if the activity/state
diagrams generated from MSM based code would be convertible to equivalent
sequence diagrams. In other words, I want to know if MSM does indeed create
object instance and whether it creates those instances on heap, etc. In
short, I am interested in the performance aspect. I have a scenario where I
have two state machines - basically, protocols for the trading domain - and
I am supposed to map one protocol to another and vice versa - that is,
develop a message broker. I am thinking about designing a generic solution
that could be used to map any protocol (all messages along with their
behavior) to any protocol based on the grammar - the message strings, their
sequences, etc. Can I use MSM for this kind of a problem? I did write
something like this for a client a long time back but it would take me quite
some time if I jump into doing that again. That does make think if Boost MSM
(or StateChart?) offers a faster solution.

Thanks in advance,

-Asif