Subject: [Boost-users] [locale] Quick questions
From: Jookia (166291_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-11-06 17:16:03

Hey! I have some small questions about Boost.Locale.

1. Is it safe to assume that Boost.Locale API methods (like gettext)
return UTF-8 strings, or are they locale dependent?

2. I use a custom domain, but when calling gettext("...") I still get
lovely English text. However, calling gettext("...", std::locale())
fixes that. Is there some way to set the default domain/locale for
gettext so I can simply write gettext("...")?

3. What's the deal with the whole locale/$LANG/LC_MESSAGES/$domain.mo
folder structure? I know it has Unix heritage, but why is it explicity
forced? It seems like a complex structure compared to
locale/$LANG-$domain.mo.