Subject: [Boost-users] Lisp/Scheme DSEL in C++?
From: Nathan Ridge (zeratul976_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-11-14 23:03:35

Hello,

I came across the following post on boost-users [1]:

>> hello all,
>>
>> does anybody know of an existing spirit/lisp implimentation, and is there
>> any interest in developing such a project in open source?
>
> None yet, AFAIK.
>
> I'll be writing an example for Spirit2 to complement the tiny-C
> virtual machine in there. What's equally interesting though is
> that scheme (or at least a subset of it) can be implemented in
> pure c++. No parsing, just pure DSEL in C++. Now, imagine a
> parser that targets this DSEL (through C++) -- a source to source
> translator. Essentially, your scheme code will be compiled into
> highly efficient C++.

I find this quite intriguing, and I'm naturally led to ask two questions:

1. Which subset of Scheme can be implemented in this way, with a DSEL?

2. Has anyone actually done this?

Thanks!

Nate

[1] http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lib.boost.user/30512