Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Boost 1.48.0 Release Notice
From: Andrew Maclean (andrew.amaclean_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-11-17 21:57:30

On Fri, Nov 18, 2011 at 12:38 PM, Tom Kent <lists_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> So I'm still a bit confused. Does something actually need to be built
> along with boost, or at the bz2 and zlib stuff things that can be added in
> later?
>
> If something needs to be built into boost, I could probably do that (I
> don't currently for MPI, but this sounds more generally useful). However,
> if this is just a matter of throwing windows binaries for bz2 and zlib in
> with a bunch of boost libraries, that doesn't seem right. Is there any
> documentation on this? I glanced around a bit but didn't see much.
>
> Tom
>

> On Thu, Nov 17, 2011 at 5:09 PM, Andrew Maclean <andrew.amaclean_at_[hidden]
> > wrote:

>>> For windows these are built for convenience so that zlib and bz2 are
>>> packaged along with the boost libs since it is not terribly common to
>>> have them available on all windows boxes. You just have to tell bjam
>>> to build them when building the rest of the code; they are optional
>>> and not built by default.
>>>
>>> Brian
>>>

>> You are correct but I have never seen bzip2 or zlib included in the boost
>> libraries. I have generally built them separately and then added the
>> following settings to my boost build:
>>
>> set BZIP_PATH=C:\Users\amaclean\wherever\bzip
>> set ZLIB_PATH=C:\Users\amaclean\wherever\zlib
>> rem Setting environment for building iostreams with bzip and gzip.
>> set NO_COMPRESSION=0
>> set NO_BZIP2=0
>> set BZIP2_SOURCE="%BZIP_PATH%\bzip2-1.0.6"
>> set NO_ZLIB=0
>> set ZLIB_SOURCE="%ZLIB_PATH%\zlib-1.2.5"
>>
>> Maybe they should be included in boost and only used in windows builds.
>>
>> Andrew
>>
>> --
>> Andrew J. P. Maclean
>> Australian Centre for Field Robotics (ACFR)
>> The Rose Street Building J04
>> The University of Sydney 2006 NSW
>> AUSTRALIA
>> Ph: +61 2 9351 3283
>> Fax: +61 2 9351 7474

If you look in the iostreams documentation, in particular the installation
section, it talks about widows, bzip2 and zlib.
What I do is to use the latest zlib and bzip sources and put them in a
folder and then set the appropriate environment variables as outlined in
the iostreams documentation before building.
Of course if you are using dlls then you need to build the zlib dlls as
iostreams will need the import library in this case. I just use cmake to do
this (for the appropriate compiler).

I have attached a windows command file that may be of use to you.

Regards