Subject: [Boost-users] Creating Boost unit system for astrodynamic equations
From: Stephen Torri (stephen.torri_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-11-23 13:30:41

I am starting to convert code I have written using standard types
(e.g. double) which calculates the orbits of objects in space. Common
man's way of describing astrodynamic equations. The equations fall
into two types: dimensionless and with dimensions. For those that have
a dimension they fall into three types:

Length (earth radii)
Time (minutes)
Angle (radians)

So derived types would be:

Velocity (radians/minute)

Now that I have described what types are required I have a few questions:

1. Where is the length type for already defined for earth radii?

2. What advantage is there to creating my own unit system?

It seems that my unit system would have:

- earth radii
- kg (useless in the equations)
- minute
- radians