Subject: [Boost-users] C0x11 threading capabilities
From: Erotavlas_turbo_at_[hidden]
Date: 2011-12-01 12:49:22

Hi,

I have some question about the threading programming capabilities of boost
library.
First question: The new C++ standard C++11 has a support for threading
programming. I have read some times ago, that with high probability the
threading library of the C++11 should be the same of boost library? If it is
true, can I use the boost thread library and in the future, when the C++
standard will be completed, could I transparently switching to it? What are the
differencies between the boost thread library and the future C++11 thread
library?
Second question: this question is strictly related to the first one. At the
moment GCC supports only a small subset of threading programming features http:
//wiki.apache.org/stdcxx/C++0xCompilerSupport. So using thread boost library
allows me to use the full features of future C++ standard library? Or I'm
limited by the compiler?
Last question: what about the OpenMP directives? How they are different in
terms power and flexibility for the parallel programming task respect to the
boost library?

Thank you

Best Regards