Subject: [Boost-users] [Units] How do you declare a plane angle to be dimensionless?
From: Stephen Torri (stephen.torri_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-12-06 08:16:02

Boost ver: 1.45
Compiler: Visual Studio 2008

I am trying to figure out how to declare a plane angle to be
dimensionless. In the code I have so far I am using:

   typedef boost::units::make_system<radii_base_unit,
                                     minute_base_unit,

boost::units::angle::radian_base_unit >::type
   myproject_system_t;

I have one velocity in radii^1.5/min and a second velocity in
radian/min. When I divide the radii^1.5/min by radian/min I am
expecting to see radii to be the final dimension. What I am seeing is
the denominator has radians in it. Here is my equation

ke = radii^1.5/min

n = radian/min

a1 = ( ke / n ) ^ (2/3)

The 'min' dimension cancel out so I am left with radii^1.5/radian
before applying the power of 2/3. Applying the power of 2 I see the
units are radii^3/radian^2 and then the 1/3 to get a final of
radii/radian^(2/3).

According to the almighty Wikipedia the radian angle is a
dimensionless term. I am wondering what is the recommended course of
action I should be taking here?

Stephen