Subject: [Boost-users] Query on Boost.iostreams
From: Leo Carreon (lcarreon_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-12-11 22:33:05

Hi,

I’m building Boost 1.47.0 for Windows with VS 2010 using the following commands:

  .\bootstrap.bat
  .\b2 -sZLIB_SOURCE=c:\zlib-1.2.5 -sBZIP2_SOURCE=c:\bzip2-1.0.6 link=static,shared runtime-link=shared address-model=32 variant=release install 2>&1 | tee libwin32.log

The resulting Boost\lib directory contains the following files:

  boost_bzip2-vc100-mt-1_47.dll
  boost_bzip2-vc100-mt-1_47.lib
  libboost_bzip2-vc100-mt-1_47.lib
  boost_zlib-vc100-mt-1_47.dll
  boost_zlib-vc100-mt-1_47.lib
  libboost_zlib-vc100-mt-1_47.lib

I created test applications to use the shared ZLIB and BZIP2 libraries which means I had to link with the corresponding import libraries. I discovered that the test application for the ZLIB library is able to execute correctly. However, the test application for the BZIP2 library fails because it is looking for LIBBZ2.DLL instead of boost_bzip2-vc100-mt-1_47.dll. I used dumpbin.exe to check the contents of the BZIP2 import library and it is definitely referring to LIBBZ2.DLL. I tried to locate the issue in the JAM files but since I’m a newbie with JAM files I couldn’t locate what is causing this issue.

At the moment, my workaround is simply creating a copy of boost_bzip2-vc100-mt-1_47.dll as LIBBZ2.DLL although ideally this shouldn’t be necessary. Can this problem be fixed in the next release of the Boost libraries. Do I need to raise a bug for this?

Kind regards,
Leo