Subject: Re: [Boost-users] BoostPro (or any) installer for v1.48.0 on Windows 7/Visual Studio C++ 2010?
From: Michael Powell (mwpowellnm_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-12-19 11:08:02

On Mon, Dec 19, 2011 at 9:00 AM, Michael Powell <mwpowellnm_at_[hidden]>wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 19, 2011 at 8:53 AM, Andrew Holden <
> aholden_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>
>> On Sunday, December 18, 2011 11:53 PM, Wayne Johnson wrote:
>> > I'm new to the Boost libraries and becoming reacquainted with C++
>> > after many years of using other languages. As recommended in
>> > section 5.1 of the "Getting Started on Windows", I visited the
>> > BoostPro website to find a Windows 7 installer for v1.48.0 to use
>> > with VS C++ 2010. In response to a followup message to BoostPro
>> > sales about the lack of an installer for the latest version, I was
>> > told:
>> >
>> > "We don't have an installer at this time, and we are shortly
>> > about to remove that section from our website. The Boost build
>> > instructions can be found here ..."
>> >
>> > Will there be no more Windows binary installers for the libraries
>> > or did I misunderstand?
>>
>> I can't speak for binary installers, but I have found the libraries easy
>> enough to compile myself. For reference, I have attached the batch file I
>> use to build the libraries. Look through the options at the top of the
>> batch file before copying it into your boost source and running it. You
>> will almost certainly want to change some of them for your system. Please
>> note it is not necessary to use a "visual studio command prompt". An
>> ordinary one will do just fine.
>>
>> As I have it configured, it will install the headers, 32-bit libraries
>> and 64-bit libraries to C:\boost. It's probably safest to not put your
>> source distribution in that directory.
>>

> I can also attest to the fact that the boost build process is not that
> terrible. I even went to the extent during one contractual stint of
> capturing the build process in a NAnt script which automatically cleaned
> the required dirs and performed the rebuild on an ad-hoc or as needed
> basis. Can be intimidating at first, but not once you've done it a couple
> of times. With this approach, I organized my boost download as a boost.zip
> file; note, sans the version number, for internal versioning purposes, and
> let the NAnt build process extract the files to a dir alongside the boost
> dir. This was all in the context of my Subversion project and CI
> environment as a whole.
>
> Anywho, this is my two cents for what it's worth.
>
> God bless and Godspeed to you.

Oh yeah, one other note; the only thing is rebuilding takes time. So does
installing, I expect, but as long as the boost.zip image is stable, or you
aren't chasing versions that frequently, it shouldn't be too terrible. I
clocked it once and it was fairly consistent with a full build in about 90
minutes or so, which we did every couple of days as a health build, and
periodically upon Subversion changes. So first time out or so, go get a cup
of coffee, or two, or three, maybe watch a short film (almost literally),
as the instructions suggest. Make a provision for updating versions for
your project and/or management leadership, and you'll be just fine.