Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Using BGL with mutexes
From: Nick Edmonds (ngedmond_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-01-03 12:29:10

On Jan 3, 2012, at 12:47 AM, Kelvin Chung wrote:

> I wish to use multiple threads to build a graph, and to topologically sort it. It would appear that the easiest way is to construct a graph adapter like so:
>
> template <class T>
> class Graph {
> boost::adjacency_list<boost::vecS, boost::vecS, boost::directedS, T> internalGraph;
> boost::shared_mutex mutex; // read-write lock enabler
>
> // Add other suitable adapter methods here
> };
>
> I'm wondering whether this is the better idea over using the PBGL, since it seems that the PBGL is more complicated.
>
> My specific scenario is that T is a functor type whose operation is expensive, and may depend on calling a similar functor (determining the dependent functors needed is cheap); thus, I'm trying to obtain all of the functors and then ordering them so that all dependent functors are always evaluated before the functor itself is evaluated. Thus, each thread would do something like this:
>
> Graph<T>& dependencyGraph = ...; // shared graph
> std::deque<T> tasks; // initially populated list
> while (!tasks.empty()) {
> T task = tasks.front();
> tasks.pop_front();
>
> std::list<T> dependents = task.getDependents();
> for (std::list<T>::const_iterator it = dependents.begin(); it != dependents.end(); ++it) {
> dependencyGraph.addEdge(task, *it); // Creates a new vertex if either vertex does not exist
> tasks.push_back(*it);
> }
> }
>
> No vertices or edges are ever removed from the graph, unless the whole graph is being destroyed. Would bundling a mutex and a graph be a good idea for this purpose?

If your graph is directed and the vertex and edge sets grow monotonically (i.e. there's no removal) then threaded graph construction is pretty simple. I would create a 1:1 mapping of mutexes to vertices and lock the adjacencies for each vertex (you could make this mapping 1:N as well to reduce the number of locks required). Of course when adding a new vertex you'd still need to lock the entire adjacency list temporarily.

I have an implementation somewhere that does something very similar to this, though I preallocate the vertex list to avoid having to lock the whole graph and use a property map to map vertices to mutexes which gives me adjustable granularity in the locking. I modified the adjacency_list ctors and calls to add_edge, but you could just as easily use a wrapper.

-Nick