Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Recommended mock framework to use with Boost?
From: Chris Cleeland (chris.cleeland_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-01-17 11:18:34

Dave,

On Mon, Jan 16, 2012 at 9:50 AM, Dave Abrahams <dave_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> I would really like to see a comparison of Turtle with HippoMocks.  I am
> teaching a class next week and I need to figure out what to recommend
> people use/look at.  Could you possibly post something?

If you got a private response on this that you can share, I would
personally like to see it. I started down the road of using Turtle
about a month or so ago before I had to redirect current time to
something different. I liked it, but I admittedly didn't get very
far.

What I found in my situation, though, was that mocking took a
substantial amount of development effort in a "legacy"(*) body of code
such that creating tests that rely upon mocking was more trouble than
it was worth at first evaluation, i.e., it did not save me more time
than it cost. As this was my first experience with an actual mocking
framework (as opposed to ad-hoc bespoke stuff created for a single
purpose), I'm not sure if it's a framework issue, a user (me) issue,
an impedance mismatch between the framework and legacy code, or what.
I suspect that the reality is that it's a little of all of them.

If anybody knows a mocking framework that slides easily into existing,
and sometimes grungy (from a TDD perspective), code base, I'd love to
hear about it.

(*) By "legacy" I mean code that was not written with a test-driven
development mindset.

--
Chris Cleeland