Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Regarding Boost::asio::io-service
From: Christopher (cpisz_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-01-23 11:41:43

Baba Prasad <gbabu <at> ece.iisc.ernet.in> writes:

> Dear Friends,
>
> Please tell what is the purpose of boost::asio::io-service ios
> .I am New to the boost Libraries and I'm doing one Open Source project in
> that already used these asio service in a way of passing asio service in
> object. like "link l(ios, some other arguments) "
>
> My big question is at what sart of time this asio::io-service are most
> useful and required.

It's common use is to post operations to be asynchronously completed into what
I would describe as an "internal io-service queue." These operations are
executed on a seperate thread or group of threads that grab them from
the "queue". When an operation completes, it will callback some handler
function or method to evaluate the results.

The documentation describes the pattern well.