Subject: Re: [Boost-users] boost filesystem
From: John Emmas (johne53_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-01-24 16:34:42

On 24 Jan 2012, at 20:00, Christopher wrote:

> John Emmas <johne53 <at> tiscali.co.uk> writes:
>
>> I've just discovered to my dismay that Microsoft's implementation of
> fstream, ifstream and ofstream are fatally flawed.
>
> How so?
>
> You fail to explain how it does anything other than what the standard tells
> you it does.
>
> Please give a code example of this flaw.

I discovered this afternoon that it's already been acknowledged by Microsoft as a bug. It affects VC8 and 9 but is fixed in VC10.

http://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/361133/a-call-to-the-std-filebuf-open-method-with-a-multibyte-path-that-worked-in-vc7-fails-in-vc9

Since I'm using VC8 I'll be trying some workarounds tomorrow. I did try the fstream implementation from boost::filesystem (v1.40, I think) but it seemed to have the same problem. Thanks for your reply.

John