Subject: Re: [Boost-users] numeric_cast_traits/cstdint: request for fix in boost1.49
From: John Maddock (boost.regex_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-01-28 08:09:45

>Currently HPUX/acc compiler fails in boost 1.48, because boost::int8_t was
>being interpreted as a char, This causes duplicate class definition
>in the file
>./boost/numeric/conversion/detail/preprocessed/numeric_cast_traits.hpp
>and hence many of compiled boost libs fail.

Thanks for raising this on the list, I just posted these comments to the
Trac ticket:

"IMO this is the wrong fix: our code should make no assumptions about the
actual type of uintXX_t etc.

IMO the preprocessed headers are just plain wrong - you can't mix concrete
types (char short etc) with typedefs (intXX_t) because you're just asking
for problems with duplicate specializations. It has to be all real types
throughout.

BTW in addition to the two platforms mentioned above, this is also broken
for Sun on Linux.

Reassigning to the person who made these changes..."

Not sure if we can fix this for 1.49, but you're right, it is a high
priority.

Hopefully Brandon Kohn is reading this as he made those changes?

John.