Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Developing a new boost archive
From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-02-13 11:13:16

Roberto Fichera wrote:
> Hi All in the list,
>
> I'm basically new to boost so I hope to find support here to
> integrate my own serialization library within the boost archive logic.

I looked at your post and had a lot of difficulty in figuring out
how I could help you. I think the above statement is the source
of my difficulty.

If you have you're own serialization library, what do you
need the boost one for? If you want to use the boost one,
what does your own library have to do with anything?

I should say that creating one's own archive implementation
is harder than it should be. This is due to the fact that
documentation and implementation of some details
of this process are ambiguous and non-obvious. None-the-less
a number of people have managed to create their own
archive implementations without too much problem - os
it IS doable. It does require knowledge of template
meta-programming and investigation of ohw the current
libraryies are implemented.

If you want to make an archive implementation which
some format not supported by the current ones, that
would be a quesion we might be able to help with. If
this is what you want to do, you might look at simple log
archive and trivial archive in thedocumentation. Also there
are a few other archives around which illustrate how this
ahs been done. There is one for yaml and one for json
these are in the sandbox and/or vault. There is also
included in the package a portable_binary_archive.
Also special archive implementations have been created
to support MPI.

Looking at your specific question, I can only say
I think you need to invest more time in studying the
above mentioned subjects before I could be of help.

Robert Ramey