Subject: [Boost-users] [asio] Issue with resolver query for 64-bit browsers (IE)
From: Jacques, Keiko (Keiko.Jacques_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-02-23 12:04:17

I am writing a browser plugin which needs to get the size of a file using the HTTP HEAD request. In order to send the request I am using the boost socket and the boost::asio::ip::tcp::resolver::query to get the ip address and service port. I am basically using code from the asio sync_client sample provided with Boost 1.48.0.

  using boost::asio::ip::tcp;
  boost::asio::io_service io_service;
  tcp::resolver resolver(io_service);
  tcp::resolver::query query(hostname, "http");
  tcp::resolver::iterator endpoint_iterator = resolver.resolve(query);
  tcp::resolver::iterator end;

This works fine when I run this on a Windows platform (Windows 7) using 32-bit browsers such as Firefox, Chrome, and IE. This also works fine when I run this as a desktop application through a test driver on a Windows (Vista , Windows7)64-bit platform. However, when I run this as a browser plugin on the Windows Vista 64-bit platform using IE (64-bit) it seems to crash on the line:
tcp::resolver resolver(io_service);

I'm not sure if this is a Boost issue or an IE issue, so I was wondering if anyone knows of any incompatibility issues and/or limitations with Boost and IE (64-bit) which could cause this to happen.

Thanks
Keiko

This e-mail and any attachments may contain confidential material for the sole use of the intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient, please be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of this e-mail or any attachment is prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please contact the sender and delete all copies.

Thank you for your cooperation.