Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Boost.Interprocess, would scoped allocators solve this? [was: containers question]
From: Jeffrey Lee Hellrung, Jr. (jeffrey.hellrung_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-03-02 02:50:49

On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 11:09 PM, Frank Birbacher <bloodymir.crap_at_[hidden]>wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Am 29.02.12 21:13, schrieb Davidson, Josh:
> > The only possible implementations I can think of
> [snip]
>
> Hmm, reminds me of scoped allocators. This is a concept I've just
> begun to understand. Are scoped allocators made to solve the problem here?
>
> Frank

I'm almost certainly drifting this off-topic, so moderators step in if
necessary, but since Frank asked...

What are scoped allocators useful for? This has bothered me for a while.
I've read [1] and it's not really motivating me. What's the problem with
just feeding the right allocator to the right object when that object gets
constructed? Why should containers be complicated by concerning themselves
with what allocator their elements use? Couldn't that be left to the client
of the container?

[1] http://www2.research.att.com/~bs/C++0xFAQ.html#scoped-allocator