Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Bessel and Hypergeometric functions wanted, was: (no subject)
From: John Maddock (boost.regex_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-03-19 09:15:27

>This may be a snippet from a question I submitted. Thanks for replying.
>There are many values of arguments for the Hypergeometric function for
>which it does not reduce to another special function.
>So in a nutshell that was the use case, a generic hypergeometric function
>that could not be expressed as another special function.
>
>Also, in my post I mentioned that the boost documentation listed these as
>unsupported TR1 functions. Can you clarify what this means?
>Does TR1 handle hypergeometric functions?

Yes, they were added to the TR1 spec. However, that's part of the TR that
did not make it into C++11 and to my knowledge no one has actually
implemented them for the reasons I gave. I believe GSL has them
(http://www.gnu.org/software/gsl/manual/html_node/Hypergeometric-Functions.html),
but once you dig into the code there are lots of comments to the effect that
they don't always behave well in some regions - and that's just the bits
they've managed to test - to repeat, a function with > 3 real valued args is
untestable over the whole domain, that's *why* they're broken down into more
precisely defined functions.

Regards, John.