Subject: Re: [Boost-users] [Boost.Serialization] Documentation about the archivefile formats
From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-03-25 14:14:35

Júlio Hoffimann wrote:
> Dear all,
>

> I'm trying to debug an application and would be helpful to know how
> the contents of the archives should look like. I read the entire
> Boost.S11n documentation, but can't find any explanation about the
> archive file formats.

This is because the file formats are undefined. More accurately, the file
format is defined by (and reflects) the structure of the achive data. This
easy to see my using the serialization library on your own classes and
and generating an XML archive. This is nicely indented and you'll
be able to see the one-to-one correspondence from your C++ classes
to the archive text.

That is, C++ data structures => archive format.

Note that is the opposite from other approaches such as google
protocol buffers which do something like:

protocol buffers description => C++ code to read/write the file.

If one thinks about it, you can see that these are not really comparable
as they really do different things.

> Do you have some technical material?
>

> I'm having an annoying (and famous) "input stream error":
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5178321/boost-serialization-problem-in-windows-vs2005-input-stream-error.
> The link describes exactly the same problem, the "author's solution"
> isn't satisfactory at all.

This doesn't ring a bell with me. Check the Trac system to see if it's
already described in there. If it's not, feel free to include you're own
description of the problem and optionally suggestions and/or you're own
patch. I'll be happy to look at it.

Robert Ramey