Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Why Boost uBLAS
From: Dave Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-04-04 21:20:35

on Tue Apr 03 2012, delryn-AT-gmx.de wrote:

> Good day,
>
> i started using boost one month ago. Now i saw that boost is offering
> uBLAS to use/manipulate matrices. So my question is: Why is the wheel
> invented totally new? The uBLAS-Team even writes that they focus an
> "correct algorithm" and that "performance will be improved later".
>
> Why cant boost simply adpot
> http://arma.sourceforge.net/
>
> or Newmat 11:
>
> http://www.robertnz.net/nm11.htm#refer
>
> I used Newmat in many complex commercial projects where performance was very important.
> Newmat is easy to use and I dont now any bugs. Maybe the interface is
> not totally stl compatible, but this library is very easy and
> intuitive to use.
>
> What do you think about this?

It would be nice to have better linear algebra libraries in Boost. The
problem is that Boost doesn't "simply adopt" anything; that's not how we
operate. Someone would have to submit the library to the formal review
process (<http://www.boost.org/community/reviews.html>) and take
responsibility for its future in Boost.

Best regards,

--