Subject: Re: [Boost-users] multiprecision (/sandbox/big_number/) - pow function
From: John Maddock (boost.regex_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-05-02 04:06:00

> ./boost/boost/multiprecision/detail/functions/pow.hpp:89: error:
> invalid application of ‘sizeof’ to incomplete type
> ‘boost::STATIC_ASSERTION_FAILURE<false>’

That's a truly horrible error message: in my defence, compilers that
implement static_assert give the rather better:

1>m:\data\boost\sandbox\big_number\boost\multiprecision\detail\functions\pow.hpp(89):
error C2338: The pow function is only valid for floating point types.

In other words I haven't implemented pow for integer types, I guess as other
libraries like GMP do so I should follow suit, though I admit to being a bit
conflicted on this as the results get real big real fast with
exponentiation.

If I get some time later I'll see if I can improve those error messages, and
maybe extend pow to integers.

Thanks for the report, John.