Subject: Re: [Boost-users] [Serialization] Linker errors issue with using binary_wiarchive.hpp and binary_woarchive.hpp
From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-05-04 16:12:39

Lord Metritutus Merkwurdichliebe wrote:
> It will function without issues you say? That's very useful to know,
> thanks. Out of interest, why are there wide character versions then
> if they are unnecessary?

They are necessary for text based archives. The "w" means use
the wide char in the text. In the context of binary files there
is no concept of character. So they don't make sense.

But asked why they are there. The reason is this:

first I made the text_archive, binary_archive and xml_archive.

Then I made the "w" versions by copying the original ones,
making some changes and subjecting them to test. So the
binary_warchive.. exists because of symetry. Once it was made
and tested, I realized it wasn't necessary. I stopped testing it
and removed it from the documentation for this reason. BUT
I was very concerned about Murphy's law. That is, the moment
I eliminate something that is called for by symetry considerations,
someone will find a need for it. So I left it in there to make
sure that no one ever needs it.

Robert Ramey