Subject: Re: [Boost-users] boost::bind and Motif
From: Richard (legalize+jeeves_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-05-14 17:38:48

boost-users_at_[hidden] spake the secret code
<1D97E025367AFB4A8C528590A3715BF4426048_at_archerysummit2.willamette.charteroaks> thusly:

>As for your earlier comment about the only "sane" thing being to cast

I don't think that was me who first remarked about it being the only
sane thing to do, but I agree with the statement.

>back to the exact same type after a void* context parameter, that's the
>main reason why I suggested a generic helper class. My class takes
>complete control of the Xt callback, thus making it extremely difficult
>to mess up that cast, and it provides a type-safe interface to your
>code. Get it working once, and then reuse it whenever you need an
>XtAppTimeout.

Yes, I agree.

Whenever I am writing C++ code that must deal with void* mechanisms,
the first thing I do is shove that void* behind some sort of helper
class or function that quarantines the void* to the smallest scope
possible.

--
"The Direct3D Graphics Pipeline" -- DirectX 9 version available for download