Subject: Re: [Boost-users] asio - improving chat server example
From: Marat Abrarov (abrarov_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-05-22 09:38:27

Hi, John.

> As you recall, I am using boost/Threads to execute io_service::run() to allow my server to have a
> main-thread application loop. The use of threads have complicated my application design by giving me
> problems to join the thread_group upon shutdown.
>
> I just had the thought, maybe I can tickle the io_service each frame of my main-thread loop instead of
> using Threads? Is that the motivation for io_service::poll() ? Maybe using io_service.poll() will
> allow me to avoid the need for threads, at least while I'm proving the concept. What do you think?

I don't think asio::io_service::poll() can help you. The only solutions I can suggest I've described before. It isn't
related to Asio - it is related to proactor pattern.

> Maybe I can contribute a more interesting TCP server example if this works. :) Ideally, it would also
> show clean shutdown when using threads to run the io_service, but I'm not there yet.

I thought I've already done it :)

> Also, I began looking at your code. Thank you for making it available. I'm a little worried it will
> take me as long to learn your framework as it will to learn the Asio framework.

It is not a framework. It is more like to be code snippets. Some parts are copies of Asio internals.

Regards,
Marat Abrarov.