Subject: Re: [Boost-users] [Program Options] terminate parsing after first positional argument
From: Vladimir Prus (ghost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-07-05 02:59:01

On 04.07.2012 20:37, Evan Driscoll wrote:
> On 01/-10/-28163 01:59 PM, Stuart Pook wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> How can I tell Boost Program Options to stop parsing the arguments as soon as it finds a positional argument?
>
> I asked this question a few weeks ago and filed a feature request:
> https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/ticket/6991
>
> There is a patch attached to the bug report which seems to work for me, however, you of course will have to use a modified version of Boost.
> (And it's a compiled library so more than just header changes as well.)
>
> I don't know the best way to get that option from the client code down to where it's needed, so right now choosing that behavior or the
> default one is done by changing the Boost code and recompiling. :-)
>
> (Incidentally, from my biased perspective I'd say that the fact that there were two independent requests for this feature inside a month,
> not to mention the old one linked in the quoted post which sites another a couple weeks prior to *that*, speaks to the importance of this
> feature. I'd like to reiterate my offer to help with any of documentation, tests (if someone can sketch out how to add one), and
> implementation (if someone sketches out a high-level implementation).)

Evan,

that patch of yours looks perfectly reasonable to me. It would seem that a style option, e.g. 'allow_intermixed' can be used to control
this behaviour (with the current behaviour as default). As for testing, you can add a new function to tests/positional_options_test.cpp,
and call it from main. The structure of existing tests should be straightfoward.

For avoidance of doubt, if you come up with a patch along these lines, I'll be happy to commit it.

Thanks,
Volodya