Subject: Re: [Boost-users] [interprocess] Strange behaviour after push_back in a b::i::vector of b::i::weak_ptr
From: Pekka Seppänen (pekka.seppanen_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-07-19 09:59:21

On 19.7.2012 16:07, Gaetan Gaumer wrote:
> Hello Ion a others interprocess guru,
> I'm currently using an interprocess::vector storing intreprocess::weak_ptr to
> data.
> Sometimes after adding a shared_ptr to my vector with push_back, the weak_ptr
> stored at the end of the vector is not
> the one I just inserted, but a copy of a previously inserted weak_ptr.
>
> For examples the code below :
> void addData (const SharableDataTypes<Data>::SharedPtrType & PData){
> dataWPVector.push_back(PData);
> if (dataWPVector.rbegin()->lock()->getObjectId() != PData->getObjectId()){
> std::cerr << "After pushback in dataWPVector vector last elem Id=" <<
> dataWPVector.rbegin()->lock()->getObjectId()
> << " added cable Id =" << PData->getObjectId() <<
> std::endl;
> }
> }
>
> spills the trace :
> "After pushback in dataWPVector vector last elem Id=50332165 added elem Id
> =352322053"
> which should obviously not happen.

Hi.

As you are using IPC (and the sample code doesn't actually reproduce the
problem, as you said), I'm assuming you running that particular piece of code
in a multi-thread/process environment (and did see some pthread traces there).

If so, you've simply forgotten to add a synchronization mechanism to your
code. Multiple writers, multiple readers; Things like that happen as the code
is not executed atomically and the other process (or thread) happens to write
data to vector between the push_back() and rbegin().

Perhaps the resize operation happens to take so much time, that it only
happens then. If my guess was correct, simply (allocate a shared mutex, )
acquire an exclusive lock when you are writing and a sharable lock if you're
only reading data.

-- Pekka