Subject: [Boost-users] Semaphores vs. condition_variable with valgrind/helgrind
From: Chris Stankevitz (chrisstankevitz_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-08-11 21:50:38

Hello,

Does boost provide a semaphore (aka an implementation of pthreads's
sem_post and sem_wait)? I know boost provides a condition_variable.
However, I would prefer a true POSIX semaphore. I created a
"semaphore" using internally boost condition variables.

Valgrind's tool "helgrind" is reporting false positives on my
implentation of a semaphore due to my use of condition_variables.
According to http://www.valgrind.org/docs/manual/hg-manual.htm

Avoid POSIX condition variables. If you can, use POSIX semaphores
(sem_t, sem_post, sem_wait) to do inter-thread event signalling.

Thank you,

Chris