Subject: [Boost-users] Boost Style Guide ?
From: Cowing-Zitron, Christopher (ccowingzitron_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-08-18 14:00:17

Hello,

I am a relative newbie to C++, in that I have been using it for about a year, and am comfortable with using it, capable of reading complex code, able to create my own libraries, and familiar with (I think) all of the fundamental constructs. But what I have not yet cultivated is my own style, in terms of formatting, structure of packages (i.e. separation of declaration and definition, inclusion hierarchies), idioms, naming conventions, etc. Given that Boost is so well written, so highly respected and relied upon, and second only to the actual standard in terms of authority, I thought I might try emulating Boost style in my coding. To that end, is there an (un)official Boost Style Guide? Or can you recommend another library/set-of-libraries worth trying to emulate that does provide a style guide? Given that the software I write is all scientific/numerical libraries for machine learning and bioinformatics, should I even be looking to a utility/metaprogramming library like Boost for style inspiration? If not, can anyone recommend some C++ numerical libraries which display especially solid coding style and structure, even if they are not necessarily the optimal libraries in terms of their numerical properties? Thanks everybody,

-- Chris