Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Why is there so much co-dependency in Boost? Is there anything to be done about it?
From: Larry (lknain_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-09-04 06:36:52

I have not been through the Boost source but I have gone through other open source code in this kind of process. It is amazing how much code exists that still has comments like “Property of ...” or “Copyright ....” regardless of the general say GPL license for the project source. The person providing the code means well but may not understand the legal ramifications. Algorithms may be patented (such as some crypto ones) so unless the open source project provides a method of ensuring such code is not included when it is built you might have to get a license to use the project. The copyright registration in the US at least requires the names of all contributors and their involvement. If you contribute it needs to be clear that you have the right to contribute as some companies may assert rights through employment agreements even if it is not directly in your job scope. If a company uses open source code without due diligence to the origin of code the results could be patent infringement litigation, substantial licensing fees, a required change to a company’s product to remove functionality related to the open source code, and/or other similarly unpalatable options.

Larry