Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Why is there so much co-dependency in Boost? Is there anything to be done about it?
From: Charles Mills (charlesm_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-09-07 12:51:35

The difference with a purchased product is that the license usually has some
copyright and patent indemnification in it. I'm not being down on open
source, it's just a fact that one of the things you get for your license
dollars is IP indemnification. What's it worth? Your mileage may vary.

What about Linux? Well, Disney (in our example) is probably getting Linux
directly from Red Hat or SUSE, not from the Boost-using software vendor, so
it's not his problem. (Yes, there IS a potential problem, as we saw with SCO
v IBM.)

Yes, in my earlier note, isn't Jones in trouble for representing the code as
his own? Possibly, but that does not do Disney a whole lot of good. If he is
a legally unsophisticated contract programmer he would have a good faith
defense: "I paid Smith for the work and so I assumed I owned what he wrote."

The key is in the last paragraph below. Being able to say "well, what about
this factor? Doesn't that change everything" doesn't change anything. Disney
is still going to have to pay a law firm big bucks to sort it all out, and
it likely means the death of the Boost-using Disney software vendor. Again,
I'm not trying to bad-mouth Boost or open source. I'm just reciting the sad
facts of life in the big city in 2012.

> It would seem that the infringement would be on the 3rd party and not on
good-faith users of the 3rd party code.

A safe harbor shield law would be a wonderful thing for the small and open
source software community.

Charles