Subject: Re: [Boost-users] [mpi] many undefined references to serialize<boost::mpi::detail::mpi_datatype_oarchive>
From: Brian Budge (brian.budge_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-09-11 13:27:17

On Tue, Sep 11, 2012 at 10:11 AM, Oswin Krause
<Oswin.Krause_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is there a reason you ar doing it this way?
> Because your question now boils down to: "Why does it hurt, when I turn
> automatic template generation off?".
>
> As an user of an serializable class, I would never expect that my choice of
> archive would impact whether my code compiles or not. Especially since the
> interface states that i can (through template<class Archive>). Instead I
> would assume that i could safely add my own archives without checking weird
> macros in theird party libraries.
>
> Greetings,
> Oswin

Hi Oswin -

We are serializing an abstract hierarchy. Because we pass only the
base pointer type(s) into the serialization code, we need to
explicitly instantiate the functions so that the functions are
available at runtime. I could be missing something, but that's the
reasoning. If there's a better way, I'm definitely up for that.

Thanks,
  Brian