Subject: [Boost-users] [Serialization] GCC Symbol Visibility
From: drivehappy (drivehappy_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-09-28 23:53:31

I'm attempting to build the serialization library outside of the
standard build mechanism for Boost. For the most part this works
great, with the exception that the symbol visibility under GCC is not
defined correctly - our compiler settings set visibility to "hidden".

Snippets from boost/serialization/config.hpp:
            #define BOOST_SERIALIZATION_DECL(T) __declspec(dllexport) T
            #define BOOST_SERIALIZATION_DECL(T) __declspec(dllimport) T

I believe there has been previous discussion on changing these to
BOOST_SYMBOL_EXPORT and BOOST_SYMBOL_IMPORT respectively since the
__declspec is MSVC specific
(http://boost.2283326.n4.nabble.com/Questions-regarding-new-visibility-stuff-td2670688.html).

Additionally a patch was suggested
(https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/ticket/2114) that I believe at the
time covered all of the boost libraries with the same changes. It
doesn't appear to have gotten into Boost.Serialization (at least as of
1.51).

If it would save time I could provide a patch specifically for Serialization.

Thanks.