Subject: [Boost-users] [exception,serialization] transporting exceptions
From: Brian Budge (brian.budge_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-10-05 17:10:26

Hi all -

I like that boost::exception provides a mechanism to copy exceptions.
This can be used to transport an exception across thread boundaries,
which is nice. I'm running a program that can optionally start nodes
using MPI to do back-end computations. I'd like to be able to "copy"
the exception from one node to another. Are there any existing tools
for something like a serialization of these kinds of exceptions? In
non-MPI mode, I'd like to transport the exception across thread
boundaries, pass it through some functions (causing actions to be
taken along the way), and then finally to rethrow the exception. In
MPI mode I want all of that PLUS, in place of one of the function
calls, I'd like to transport the exception across MPI in some way.

Are there any semi-automatic tools already in existence that will get
me this (or close)? Or do I need to implement boost serialization for
my entire exception hierarchy? If I do the latter, it seems I will
need to operator new the exception, and will not easily be able to
know when I can delete in a catch?

Thanks,
  Brian