Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Linking issue with Boost 1.44 and GCC 4.6
From: Lars Viklund (zao_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-10-21 17:56:38

On Sun, Oct 21, 2012 at 03:52:00PM -0400, Joseph Sulewski wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 21, 2012 at 3:44 PM, Lars Viklund <zao_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> > All in all, it's rarely wrong to play it safe and topologically sort
> > your command line in dependency order.
>
> Lars,
>
> Thank you for the explanation The problem i'm facing is that I'm linking
> against a third party library and I don't know their dependencies. Is there
> a dependency order for the boost libraries?

In general, Boost libraries tend to mention in the documentation what
non-header-only dependencies they have.

Otherwise, the simplest approach tends to be to try to link and find out
what libraries the missing symbols come from based on their names.

To my knowledge, there's no authorative central module dependency
listing, but the Ryppl [1] lads sorted out a rough source-based
dependency between libraries lately in order to modularise.

[1] project with new build system, modularised Boost and heaven knows what else

--
Lars Viklund | zao_at_[hidden]