Subject: Re: [Boost-users] [boost build] Where/How is python found?
From: Gottlob Frege (gottlobfrege_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-10-30 14:35:49

On Tue, Oct 30, 2012 at 1:11 PM, Steven Watanabe <watanabesj_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> AMDG
>
> On 10/30/2012 08:33 AM, Gottlob Frege wrote:
>> I'm trying to determine how boost build finds the python install. I
>> see in boost\tools\build\v2\tools\python-config.jam that it looks in
>> the Windows Registry (for NT at least). But this only checks for
>> Python 2.4, 2.3, 2.2. It also seems to look for python.exe in the
>> PATH. But I can't seem to find the code that does that. Any ideas?
>>

> python-config.jam is out-dated. Just use
> using python : /version/ : /command/ ;
>
>> In particular, I would like to change it to actually check for an
>> include directory once it finds python.exe. On my system, it finds a
>> 'rogue' python.exe that is not part of the full python install (thus
>> no include folder).
>>

> In Christ,
> Steven Watanabe

In this case, I'm not messing with config files. It is a problem with
the "stock" install:

1. I have a BlackBerry NDK that puts a version of python.exe in the
PATH, but it is not a full python install (ie no include folder).
2. I have "stock" boost that doesn't build correctly (for Windows, not
just for BlackBerry) because of 1.

So the BBNDK breaks the boost install.

I suspect I should fix the BBNDK to change how it
uses/finds/'installs' python. But maybe I could also fix how Boost
Build finds python. In particular, if it is actually looking for
python/include, then make sure the include folder is there beside
python.exe when the exe is found (otherwise keep looking).

Or something like that.

Also, how common is the idea of finding the python install via
python.exe? ie What else does BBNDK break?

Tony