Subject: Re: [Boost-users] C++ announcements coming tomorrow
From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-11-03 13:00:32

Beman Dawes wrote:
> * Microsoft has released an out-of-band community technical preview
> (CTP) for their compiler, adding explicit conversion operators, raw
> string literals, function template default arguments, delegating
> constructors, uniform initialization, and variatic templates. (See
> http://channel9.msdn.com/Series/C9-Lectures-Stephan-T-Lavavej-Core-C-/STLCCSeries6
> for instructions on how to use the CTP). Microsoft is promising more
> such feature releases during the first half of 2013. This is important
> for the whole C++ community, since it means that full C++11 support is
> becoming a reality across all widely used compilers.

It also means a lot of work for Boost.Config maintainers. We'll now
have a variety of C++ compilers each with a different subset of C++11
implemented. With C++ being released with featuers added piecemeal
AND aspirations for some sort of "next" version of something in 2014
this will be the new reality.

Fasten your seatbelts - we're in for a bumpy ride.

One thing I didn't get a chance to ask - who picks the board of
directors of the new ISOCPP foundation?

Robert Ramey