Subject: [Boost-users] [Getting Started] Library Naming section is out of date
From: Colin Powers (Colin.Powers_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-12-19 05:50:42

Hi all, apologies for any bad form in this email as it's my first posting,

The getting started guide (current link: http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_52_0/more/getting_started/unix-variants.html#library-naming ) states "Libraries built without multithreading support can be identified by the absence of -mt".

However having done a bit of googling around I think this is no longer true, at least not necessarily. It seems the naming convention changed around Boost 1.40 and this documentation has never been updated.

Here are some Stack Overflow links that suggest as much:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1768943/building-boost-on-linux-library-names
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/8940249/boost-how-bjam-constructs-a-library-name
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2293962/boost-libraries-in-multithreading-aware-mode

I have also done a bit of a play around building Boost 1.49 and confirmed this seems to be the case.

Should the wording in the getting started guide be redone to make this clear? It worried me for a moment when I thought I had not been using multithreaded libraries because there was no -mt in the filenames.

Cheers
-Colin