Subject: [Boost-users] Is 'double' a signed type? (boost type traits)
From: cdmh (cdm.henderson_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-12-21 08:14:48

Hi,
I have found some surprising behaviour with boost type traits using MSVC2012
(v11). I used boost::is_signed<T>::value where T is double and it evaluates
to false, but I expected true as double can hold negative numbers.

More surprisingly, I found that, for double, is_unsigned is not the inverse
of is_signed, and hence this static assert produces a compiler error.

BOOST_STATIC_ASSERT(boost::is_unsigned<double>::value ==
!boost::is_signed<double>::value);

I am missing a rationale for this, or it is a bug?

Thanks
-- Craig