Subject: [Boost-users] Boost.MSM: Executable size
From: RaRi (degoah_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-01-08 14:57:57

Hi all,

I'm using boost.MSM for a productive embedded system. My concern is, that my
compiler produces a
executable size of all most 2MB for a state machine consisting of 4
sub-machine and nearly 40 transition for the complete state machine, but
with no action and guard code.

My compilation system is as follows:

- eclipse juno
- mingw 4.7.0
- Compiler settings for the release of the binary are: "-O3 -Wall -c
-fmessage-length=0"

Is this a good size or should I be worried about this nearly 2 MB for the
release executable?

I'm asking as like stated in
http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_52_0/libs/msm/doc/HTML/ch04s02.html
<http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_52_0/libs/msm/doc/HTML/ch04s02.html>

the executable size for a good sized state machine could reach a size of
almost 600kB, and my state machine is still not finished (50 % more code has
to be added for further submachine...)

Using the "-Os" produces a executable size which is almost 20% smaller as
with the "-O3".

In case I compile the state machine with the default debug level (-g) the
binary is allmost 35MB big....

The compilation takes around 1m:30sec ( using the *favor_compile_time*
policy)...

Best regard,

RaRi