Subject: Re: [Boost-users] mixed 32 bit and 54 bit
From: Dave Dyer (ddyer-boost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-01-11 12:39:45

>You need to define an offset_ptr with 64 bit OffsetType
>
>typedef offset_ptr<T, std::ptrdiff_t, unsigned long long> my_offset_ptr;
>
>and instantiate all interprocess managed resources like
>(basic_managed_shared_memory) like this:
>

>typedef basic_managed_shared_memory
> <char
> ,rbtree_best_fit<mutex_family, my_offset_ptr>
> ,iset_index>
>managed_shared_memory;
>
>Again, this is not supported and it's still experimental.

Thanks for the guidance. It may work for my pirposes, as I dont
intend to use any boost facilities except some basic block allocations
of memory.

One suggestion; make a 32-vs-64 bit test part of the setup code,
so when a known incompatible producer/consumer relationship exists,
it can gracefully throw an error instead of failing mysteriously.