Subject: [Boost-users] Which Parallel Boost Graph Library should I use?
From: Christopher Cowing-Zitron (cowingzitron_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-01-14 16:02:53

Hello,

There is more than one PBGL server, one hosted by Boost, and the other by the
Open Systems Laboratory (OSL). It appears that each has code not included in the
other, whether I look at the release or sandbox SVN versions of the library. I
have three criteria as to which version(s) I should use, which are all equally
important to my final choice.

First, in general, which is more reliable, the Boost or the OSL version? Both
Boost and the OSL know their stuff, so it's not that I question the authors'
skill, but rather I don't know which version has received more testing and
validation.

Second, which is more up-to-date, both in terms of which is updated more
frequently, and which is more algorithmically and mathematically current? While
I know programmers do love their graph algorithms, I wonder if the actual
computer scientists and mathematicians at the OSL are more on the cutting edge.

Finally, whether I use the Boost or the OSL server, I am more interested in the
sandbox version than the release, as the development version has a lot of good
stuff which isn't present in the release. That being said, in my experience
there is quite a bit of variability amongst sandbox libraries as to their
readiness for use, and I am not sure whether either PBGL sandbox is functional.
Note, if there is some feature in one of the sandboxes that I am quite
interested in, but is not yet at production quality, I wouldn't mind fixing it
up for the community.

Answers to any or all of the above questions would be most appreciated. Have a
good day,

-- Chris