Subject: Re: [Boost-users] boost::bind/boost::function and fast delegates
From: Damien Hocking (damien_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-01-22 01:06:58

On 21/01/2013 10:58 PM, Littlefield, Tyler wrote:
> On 1/21/2013 2:26 PM, Steve Lorimer wrote:
>>
>> we're only using boost::bind and boost::function.
>>
>> At the risk of stating the obvious, why not use std::bind and
>> std::function?
>>
>> They are part of the current standard library, introduced in c++11

> But not supported by vs 2010 (or 2008), which is what half of the team
> still uses.

As a business decision, you might be better off doing a team upgrade to
VS 2012. The Professional price is around $700 a seat, which is about
the actual organisational cost of an intermediate developer for a day.
You'll get std::bind and std::function as part of that. Contrast that
one-time cost (which you'll pay eventually anyway) against the cost of
your time to do the custom delegate development, plus maintenance cost
over the life of your code. Two weeks of your time on custom delegates
would pay for at least ten licenses.

Damien