Subject: Re: [Boost-users] How do you compile Boost C++ code in Ubuntu?
From: Mateusz Loskot (mateusz_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-02-07 11:33:33

On 7 February 2013 15:21, Giovanni <giovanni.ong_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> I had set the shell variable $LD_LIBRARY_PATH to:
> /usr/lib/libboost_system.so. It was originally empty. I used the
> "echo" command to reflect the path that I had set it to.

I tried to make a point not about how you did set the variable,
but about the fact it has incorrect value.
Let me copy it once again:

"LD_LIBRARY_PATH, which is a colon-separated list of directories" [1]

[1] http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Program-Library-HOWTO/shared-libraries.html

And you may learn from that what the LD_LIBRARY_PATH is meant to be.

> I had installed it with Ubuntu Software Center.
> Here is a snippet of: /usr/lib
> [...]
> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 14568 Jan 2 2012 libboost_system.so.1.46.1
> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 14568 Jan 5 2012 libboost_system.so.1.48.0

You seem to be missing libboost_system.so library or symlink named
libboost_system.so with one of the two as a target.
It may look the installation is broken.

> When I followed your instructions to install it (again), I couldn't.
> Here is the transcript from the Terminal.
> Go Bears >sudo apt-get install libboost-system-dev
> [sudo] password for arvind:
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> or been moved out of Incoming.

> libboost-system-dev : Depends: libboost-system1.46-dev but it is not
> going to be installed

Clearly, something is broken with installation of boost packages in your system.
You should seek for help from Ubuntu folks, it's unrelated to Boost.

Best regards,