Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Question about installing and using boost library.
From: Giovanni (giovanni.ong_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-02-16 11:14:26

Greetings Pan,
  I am using Ubuntu 12.04 with one of my machines.

  I used the Ubuntu Software Center to install the Boost C++
Libraries, which makes things so much easier. You can enter "Boost"
into the search box on the top-right corner, and find the Boost C++
Libraries to install. There are a number of them, including versions
that conflict with each other. I chose the default version, and
packages that don't conflict with that. I suggest that you install
Boost C++ that way.

  After you have installed Boost C++ with Ubuntu Software Center, you
should/"should" (it depends on how you set things up and if you have
root access) see the following.

The collection of header files for the Boost C++ Libraries in the
location: /usr/lib.
The collection of dynamic libraries (to be dynamically linked) for the
Boost C++ Libraries in the location: /usr/include/boost.

  To test if you have installed the Boost C++ Libraries correctly, run
a very simple C++ program that includes one of the Boost C++ Libraries
and calls a function from that library. For example, you can try my
attached toy program.

  To compile and run the program, try:
g++ -o static2.out get_sys_info.cpp -lboost_filesystem -lboost_system
./static2.out

  As for your specific problem, I am guessing that it is a linking
error that I also had. You need to include the Boost C++ Libraries at
the end of the compilation command (for GCC/g++). Hence, I placed the
filename (C++ source file) before including the libraries.

  I suggest that you post your compilation/linking commands, or
makefile or script for build automation, so that people can help you.
In addition, I would include the relevant source code (make it a
simple C++ program, like my example) to test your Boost C++
installation. Furthermore, I would include the transcript from the
Terminal. Just copy and paste what appears on the Terminal as you
compile the program.

  Good luck, and have a great weekend!

Regards