Subject: [Boost-users] New gil::io has been added
From: Christian Henning (chhenning_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-02-18 18:13:35

Hi all,

I have successfully replaced the old gil::io extension with the new
gil::io. The new io has been developed on and off over the last few
years and I believe it's a great improvement over the old one.

Before going into details I like thank everyone that has been helping
me out along the way. I have learned a lot of things and I'm very
grateful for the experience!

There are numerous improvements and perhaps it's best to study the
documentation before using it. Here are some noteworthy points that
come to my mind:

* updating code that uses the old version only requires to change the
header from "boost/extension/io/jpeg_io.hpp" to
"boost/extension/io/jpeg/jpeg_io_old.hpp"
* new formats: bmp, pnm, raw, targa
* read numerous meta information from images. See
boost/gil/extension/io/png_tags.hpp for example.
* use all sorts of file metaphers or file names, like FILE*, ifstream,
stringstream, wstring, filesystem::path, etc
* in-memory images are supported
* read large images with a scanline_read_iterator
* have access to the file format backend
* etc.

There are some items left for which I need help from the boost maintainers.

* How do I hook up the gil::io documentation so it's build when all
boost documentation is build?
* Same for the test suite.
* Should I update boost_release? Or should the new extension "simmer"
for a while?

Again thanks for everything,
Christian