Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Boost-users Digest, Vol 3369, Issue 2
From: John M. Dlugosz (mpbecey7gu_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-02-25 10:09:29

On 2/24/2013 12:44 PM, boost-users-request-at-lists.boost.org |Boost/Allow to home| wrote:
> Are you implying this of Boost libraries in general ? If so I beg to
> differ. Boost libraries cover more than .Net libraries do in the realm
> of general purpose programming. The .Net API very nicely covers APIs
> specific to Windows programming and some general purpose APIs, but not
> nearly so much as Boost does of the latter.
>
> I do not mean to start an opinion war but I think your reply above gives
> the OP the wrong idea about the strengths of Boost libraries, especially
> as he is new to Boost. And yes I have programmed in .Net ( both C# and
> C++/CLI ) pretty extensively.

<http://channel9.msdn.com/Events/GoingNative/GoingNative-2012/Interactive-Panel-The-Importance-of-Being-Native>
at about 30 Minutes, “no large libraries [for C++]”

<http://channel9.msdn.com/Events/GoingNative/GoingNative-2012/C-11-VC-11-and-Beyond>
Thesis starts at 1:15, lasts till nearly the end.

Now I would agree that his counting picks up a lot of "bloat" from API wrappers, but he
does mention more specific examples of libraries that are needed for standard C++.

Could you elaborate on your remarks, using this as a starting point of where we are coming
from?

—John