Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Boost user's guide or getting started guide?
From: Mateusz Loskot (mateusz_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-02-25 10:23:28

On 25 February 2013 14:42, John Lilley <john.lilley_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> Greetings!
>
> I feel that many questions I have about Boost.Geometry are really questions
> about the “Boost way and true path”. Is there a good place to get started
> with Boost.Geometry specifically or Boost in general? I feel that I am
> locking in some basic understanding of how all of these templates fit
> together, what are Ranges, what are “concepts” etc. Where do I RTFM?

Boost is a collection of libraries and there is no true path,
so it's hard to answer your question.
(What is the true path for discovering GNU C toolset?)

Read through the Getting Started
http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_53_0/more/getting_started/index.html
and then look at the one-liner for each of the libraries and identify
those you are interested in or actually need:
http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/
Follow with reading overview, motivation and tutorial sections of chosen ones.
Reflect if you still want to use them.
Then dig the docs deeper, work with examples in libs/<library>/ folders.

There are also external resources you may find useful, books:

"Beyond the C++ Standard Library: An Introduction to Boost" by Björn Karlsson.
"The Boost C++ Libraries" by Boris Schäling
Obviously, you will want to have C++ standard and C++ template books handy while
reading docs of more advanced general purpose libraries.

If you have a library-specific question, ask here.
Don't forget to place [library name] tag at the beginning of subject line.
For example:

[geometry] What is foo in bar?

Best regards,