Subject: Re: [Boost-users] [Geometry] please help; using buffer() extensions
From: John Lilley (john.lilley_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-02-27 16:13:13

>Not in the examples folder or the docs, but the test contains lots of examples. Well, they all do the same thing, so what is done is this:
> join_miter
> <
> point_type,
> typename bg::point_type<GeometryOut>::type
> > join_strategy;
>
> typedef bg::strategy::buffer::distance_assymetric<double> distance_strategy_type;
> distance_strategy_type distance_strategy(distance_left, distance_right);
> std::vector<GeometryOut> buffered;
> bg::buffer_inserter<GeometryOut>(geometry, std::back_inserter(buffered),
> distance_strategy,
> join_strategy);

Thanks Barend! I think I am almost there, but there is a kink that I am trying to work out. If I have coordinates expressed in degrees longitude/latitude, can I operate directly on those coordinates without first transforming them to a "flat" projection like UTM? It is easy enough to get meters/degree latitude, but longitudinal distortion is another matter. Does the distance_strategy have anything to do with this? I can accept a first-order model that assumes meters/degree-longitude is constant over the entire shape.

Thanks,
John